WELCOME

WELCOME

Thank you dear friends and followers for your visits, for your love and prayers for both myself and Freddie.
I really appreciate you taking the time to call in, view my artwork and leave such wonderful comments.
Sending you all love, hugs and blessings,

June xxx

Monday 18 October 2010

October..

October is a month of clear, cold, night skies, sprinkled with stars and frost touched early mornings which make us appreciate sunny days.
It's a month to enjoy delicious newly made bramble, plum and apple jams and jellies, not forgetting the delights of country walks.
It's a month of rustling drifts of fallen leaves and in my garden I have bright pink Nerines, known to many as Guernsey Lilies. They flower happily, tolerant of unpredictable weather.
We are over half way through this lovely month. November is just around the corner and I really don't know where the time has flown.

I love October and have fond memories of picking luscious ripe blackberries and eating quite a few.
Then my blackberry and apple jam bubbling quietly on the stove and making pounds and pounds of chutney.
I made up a lot of my chutney recipes and wrote them all in a book, with how much the ingredients made and any little comments I had. One day last year my daughter asked to see it and was filled with enthusiasm for chutney making. I gave her my recipe book and she was away, making some of my favourites which are quite delicious.

6 comments:

Faye said...

I love October, too, June. It is the birth month of most of my family for some reason (January is a cold, stay inside sort of month around here???). I feel the time spinning faster. Not only me, but I've even heard young people express the fact that their time is flying by. Must be the times we are in where everything is instant.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Hello June, First of all, the lady above is very beautiful and so serene...peace oozes out of that picture. Wow you sound like a great cook. I am average and hardly do what I used to when my children were small. But I have been preserving green beans from our garden. We have had so much wind that all the flowers are gone from the Mango tree, so no fruit from there this summer. I still have some I froze from last years huge crop. Now that I am a diabetic I won't be able to eat as much fruit.. Living here in the tropics, gives an abundance..
Love ya xxx

Bill said...

I love October, but am not looking forward to what comes next. Oh well. At least this is the time for apple pie! And pumpkin pie! I guess that explains why I need to lose weight.

I'm wondering if chutney is similar to mince meat. I love mince meat pie, too.

Joey said...

June, I can't believe the month is flying by so quickly either. The night air has become chilly here, and some of the leaves are turning yellow, but it is quite warm in the day.

I am going to make an Apple Dump Cake. And since William brought up Pumpkin Pie.. well, that sounds marvelous.

Is your Chutney sweet?

Junibears said...

No William, chutney is not like mincemeat. I see you have looked it up on your blog! We don't have meat in it now though and it's usually in individual mince pies over the Christmas season where millions are consumed!!

And yes Joey, I like a sweet chutney. William this is made with fruit, white vinegar, spices and brown sugar simmered until thick. The aroma while cooking is delicious.
You store it away in jars for a few weeks (if you are able) to mature and serve it with cold meats, cheese etc. I have eaten it spread on bread to make a yummy sandwich!

Bill said...

I know I'd love chutney. It must be kind of both sweet from the brown sugar and tangy from the vinegar. I'm going to have to look for it at one of the stores near here. My absolute favorite jelly/preserves is Orange Marmalade. I love anything both sweet and tart. :O)