WELCOME

WELCOME

Thank you dear friends and followers for your visits, for your love and prayers for both myself and Freddie.
I really appreciate you taking the time to call in, view my artwork and leave such wonderful comments.
Sending you all love, hugs and blessings,

June xxx

Sunday 1 May 2011

May Day..



MAY DAY

Call me early Mother dear, for I shall be Queen of the May.

May day celebrations go back centuries, before Christianity. A Pagan ceremony all over Europe, with different names. The Maypole was a fertility symbol around which everybody danced.
There are lots of stories and traditions that go with May day. If you run barefoot in the morning dew
on May Day you will surely soon meet your true love!
My Mother told me they all wore white dresses and crowned a May Queen. That was 90 years ago!
Now many schools are celebrating again with a Maypole dance, including our church school here in the village. Just to celebrate the coming of the Summer season and to bring happiness and joy into our lives. It's beautiful to watch the children dancing in and out, weaving the coloured ribbons as they go.
So whether you are Christian or Pagan, I wish you all a happy May Day.
May you have peace and joy in your lives.

love and Hugs
June xx

7 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Wonderful memories for me as a child at primary school and dressing up to have our May Day celebrations.
Thanks for sharing June and may you also have peace and joy in your life.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

cheryl said...

oh hun this is beautiful what great memories,remember my children,doing this at a school fete,hugs cheryl xxxx

Judy said...

I remember dancing around the maypole at my primary school, too, June, and getting rather tangled up!!!

Bill said...

I have to say I really like the black and white picture of the maidens dancing. As much as we artists love color, sometimes it's refreshing to see something in black and white.

Patti said...

A very happy May Day to you, my sweet friend. I'm having a bit of difficulty believing it's really May, though. I am still wearing fleece pajamas and using flannel sheets. Seems like it ought to be much warmer if it's May.

I think celebrating May Day is wonderful. I think of May baskets given anonymously. Such fun.

Blessings and hugs,
Patti

LynnF said...

Well, thank you, June! What a beautiful picture and your words about May Day are perfect. It brings back memories of school days and May celebrations.

Faye said...

Lovely May Day piece, June.