WELCOME

WELCOME

Thank you dear friends and followers for your visits, for your love and prayers for both myself and Freddie.
I really appreciate you taking the time to call in, view my artwork and leave such wonderful comments.
Sending you all love, hugs and blessings,

June xxx

Friday 6 May 2011

Just Birds..

Just doodling again yesterday and made this collage of birdies.

* * * * *

I've had a bad night, funny dreams and woke at 3am. I knew I was wide awake so by 3.30am I was on my computer with himself sleeping soundly in the next room. I've watched it grow light and seen changes of colour in the sky. The sun is not up enough over the rooftops for me to see.

I was talking to a friend the other day about someone who was pregnant.
Pregnant......now there's a word.
It set me thinking of how different my pregnancy was in the 50's. For a start I couldn't say I was pregnant! I was 'expecting', according to my mother. She insisted on coming with me for my first pre natal exam and as I lay on the bed I was asking the doctor questions. When we got outside she was horrified! That I should dare to ask questions! According to her the doctor was something like a God to be in absolute awe of.
Of course I read everything I could, I was pretty ignorant at the time and there were no smart magazines telling you what to expect.
Nowadays, girls walk around in tight clothes, proudly showing their 'bump' or even have it nakedly in view for public gaze. I'm not a prude but I don't always like something 'in my face' as they say.
In the 50's, I was not ashamed of my bump but things were a little more decorous. I wore tight skirts and a pretty short smock. I remember taking my precious black givrine pencil skirt and cutting a big horseshoe shape out of the front and adding tapes to hold it on. So the bottom half  of your silhouette was slim! Your only other choice was a wrap around skirt. No fancy maternity clothes then.

My mother and stepfather kept a large public house and I worked this long bar alone. The comments you got sick of hearing...'June is busting out all over'....or 'have you tried vanishing cream?' etc. I just gave these male customers a condescending smile and carried on regardless.
Then there  were old wives tales. Usually again these were regaled by male customers. I think women had much more sense. I was cuddling my little sister's pet rabbit one day in the yard and a workman who was there said ominously..'you shouldn't be playing with that rabbit. Your baby will be born with a rabbit birthmark'.
Oh those old memories! Thankfully my son was born with no birthmarks, rabbit or otherwise.
Oh and husbands were not allowed to be present at the birth, which was at home.
Both my parents were horrified when I suggested it.
'Do you want your names in the News of the World?'
My  UK readers will know it was and still is in some opinions, a rather salacious newspaper.

Does any of this ring a bell with you?

Love and Hugs
June xxx

5 comments:

Bill said...

Well, being a few years younger than you (I was born in 1951), I was present when all four of our children were born. I even got to cut the cord on each one. I felt each birth was such a miracle that it made me absolute believe there is a God. Nothing that wonderful could all happen by an accident.

Patti said...

I was pregnant in the late 80's and early 90's, and it wasn't the fashion then to wear the tight maternity clothing that is worn now. I actually think women look repulsive with their clothing so tight over their abdomens. Not sure why they want to do that.

You know I watch mostly old movies. And, yes, I notice that all the time. One of my favorite movies is "A Place in the Sun." Shelly Winters tells Monty Clift she's "in trouble." The word "pregnant" is never mentioned.

I'm so glad to hear that Freddie is doing better. That is wonderful news.

Happy Mother's Day to you.

Love,
Patti

Terri Kahrs said...

Quite interesting how times have change! I, too, think that tight maternity clothes are a bit much. Thanks so much for your visit and lovely comment. It's always a treat to hear from you. Happy Mother's Day! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Carolyn said...

Thanks for the memories, June. I also was "expecting" in the late 50s. It was indeed a different world and in some ways much preferred.

HAVE A WONDERFUL MOTHERS DAY.

Carolyn

Brenda Brown said...

A lovely story June. I had my children in the late 70's and 1980 and things had obviously moved on a great deal, but as a child I remember not being able to talk about ladies who were 'expecting' and births just seemed to 'happen'.
Hope you are feeling brighter today.
Have a great weekend.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox