WELCOME

WELCOME

Thank you dear friends and followers for your visits, for your love and prayers for both myself and Freddie.
I really appreciate you taking the time to call in, view my artwork and leave such wonderful comments.
Sending you all love, hugs and blessings,

June xxx

Sunday 13 March 2011

Sweet Sunday..

Just something simple for a sweet Sunday.

I didn't sleep well last night and for some reason my mind wandered back to 1955 and the very first little house we bought. I was pregnant at the time and we were so happy to find this little terraced house we could only just afford. It was £650 and our mortgage was £1.25 a week. A vast sum then as my husband only earned about £7.50 a week.

The previous owner had left an oak drawleaf table in the sitting room and I was so pleased as we hadn't much furniture. I polished that table and we had it for years!
At the time I moved it from where it stood in the corner of the room and promptly fell through the floor. It was hiding some rotten floorboards. So that was the first job, replacing the whole floor. My husband was very handy and did it all himself, with second hand floorboards.

The stairs went up from the middle room with a door closing them off like a cupboard. They had put some very heavy stuff on the walls that was painted battleship grey and my husband spent ages burning it off with a blowlamp before we could start again.

Two weeks before my son was born I was hanging wallpaper in the hall.

There was no bathroom and the loo was out in the little back yard.
Oh the joys of washing nappies in a gas copper as I had no washing machine. When I look now at the gadgets and things modern young couples have to have.  My word!
I didn't think it strange to brush my rugs etc. as there was no vacuum cleaner. I was thrilled to buy my first Ewbank carpet sweeper. I was in heaven!

We spent a few very happy years in that little house as it gradually turned into a home.
Eventually we moved and bought the house next door!
But that's another story. I've rambled on enough.

Wishing you all a happy and peaceful Sunday.
   Hugs       June xxx

6 comments:

Nigel said...

Eeeee, when I were a lad..... lol

£7.50! Luxury! I remember my first payday when I joined the army, a whole £5! I immediately rushed out and bought 2 LPs, kept myself in tea & sandwiches all week at the NAAFI and still had tuppence left.

Thanks for sharing with us, and hope you have a good weekend.

x

Ozstuff said...

I loved reading your story, June. You have a knack of placing us in your memories. I love that. Nigel's comment above made me laugh. Do you remember the Monty Python sketch where they were all trying to outdo each other as to who was the poorest. I think the winner was the one who lived in a paper bag in a lake".

yasmindeboo said...

Beautiful postcard.

Kristin said...

Oh, I loved this story! I can just picture you hanging wallpaper pregnant! For some reason, your story brought back memories of listening to my grandmother when I was younger. Thank you for that. xoxo

Barb said...

Great story... Oh for the good old days. Life was hard but simple. blessings~barb

Bill said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. The first years are often the best.